Are you a Philly 9th grader with an interest in health care or medicine? If so, you might be perfect for the Karabots Junior Fellows Program! CEPI is now accepting applications for the Summer 2017 installment of the Karabots Junior Fellows Program. The Program seeks to cultivate the health care professionals of the future through hands-on learning and interaction with real professionals.
The next summer program will take place for two weeks, August 7-18, 2017, and consists of an intensive series of hands-on activities, meetings with healthcare professionals, and field trips focusing around a specific healthcare field. This year’s theme is Anatomy and Armor: exploring natural and artificial forms of protection against disease and trauma and learning about careers in healthcare and medicine related to those subjects.
Based on behavior, in-class participation and student interest, members of the two-week program may be asked to stay on for our multi-year after-school program focused on healthcare, STEM, and college preparation that goes through twelfth grade.
Students interested in joining the Karabots Junior Fellows Program must fulfill the following requirements to be considered:
- Must be entering the 10th grade in Fall 2017.
- Must be a Philadelphia resident.
- Must be attending a Philadelphia public, parochial, or charter high school.
- Must have an interest in biology and the healthcare professions.
- Will be the first in their immediate family to graduate from a college or university.
- Must qualify for a FREE or REDUCED PRICE school lunch.
- Not have any disciplinary problems on their school record.
- Must have permission from a parent/guardian to take part in the program.
- If selected for this summer program, applicants must also be interested and available to participate in programming throughout the school year and summer through my senior year of high school if chosen to do so.
Interested students must complete an application form, including an essay and letter of recommendation. (Full instructions are available on the application). Completed applications can be submitted via email (subject heading: Karabots Junior Fellows Application) or standard mail to the following address:
Attn: Kevin D. Impellizeri (Karabots Junior Fellows)
The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
19 South 22nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
The deadline to apply is FRIDAY, APRIL 28, 2017 (all mailed applicants must be postmarked by that date to be considered). If you have any questions, please contact Kevin Impellizeri, Youth Program Coordinator (215-372-7313). For more information about the Karabots Junior Fellows Program, please consult our website.