The Out4STEM Program aims to provide Philadelphia’s LGBTQIA youth with healthcare and STEM-oriented instruction, mentorship, academic support, and college/career preparation in an inclusive, safe space. Drawing on the resources of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia and the Mütter Museum, the program aims to promote resilience, peer support networks, and diverse educational experiences. It is a collaborative program between the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, Educational Justice Coalition, and the University of Pennsylvania’s LGBTPM+; Out4STEM is made possible thanks to a generous grant from Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Established in 2017, the Out4STEM Internship Program seeks to address the unique challenges facing LGBTQIA youth while providing a safe environment to learn about careers in science and medicine. It will focus on the following areas:
- Introduce students to careers related to science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and healthcare/medicine.
- Acquire practical job skills in a healthcare field by successfully completing a Phlebotomy Technician Certification (CPT)
- Cultivate relationships between like-minded, motivated Philadelphia LGBTQIA students.
- Develop a greater understanding of the body’s physiological response to stress.
- Facilitate stress relieving techniques.
- Address the impact of bullying and discrimination and develop responses.
- Learn to communicate, heal, and build a community
The program consists of after-school sessions once a week (every 1st and 3rd Tuesdays) and summer sessions on select days in July. With the exception of off-site field trips, all activities will be held at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia (19 South 22nd Street). Transit tokens to and from all events will be supplied to the Fellows by the Center for Education. Students will also be paid a stipend upon successful completion of the program
Eligibility and Enrollment
In order to be eligible for the Out4STEM Internship Program, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Currently in 10th or 11th grade
- Currently enrolled in a school within the Philadelphia School District, including public, private, parochial, or charter schools.
- Possess an interest in healthcare, medicine, or STEM (science, technology, engineering, or math)
All interested candidates must submit the following materials:
- A completed application
- One letter of recommendation from an adult affiliated with a related high school or after-school program (examples: a teacher, coach, counselor, principal, volunteer leader, or church or community leader)
- A 1-2 page essay (see application for essay prompt).
Applicants must also obtain a Pennsylvania state work permit (more information on obtaining one can be found here) and receive permission from a parent or guardian.
Completed applications can be submitted via email or standard mail to the following address:
Attn: Quincy Greene (Out4STEM Internship)
The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
19 South 22nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Note: There are no costs to enroll or be enrolled in the Out4STEM Internship Program.
We are not currently accepting applications for the Out4STEM Internship Program. Please check back for information on the next enrollment period.
In addition to an internship program, Out4STEM hosts regular events related to issues in healthcare, medicine, and the LGBTQIA community. Unless otherwise noted, all events take place at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia (19 South 22nd Street).
New Events TBA